Sunday, September 2, 2007

First Week Home



Our first week back home has all of us settling into our expanded family. Zane appears to be adjusting to his new family and home like a champ thus far. He smiles a ton, is very ticklish and loves to splash in the bathtub. He is sleeping soundly although waking 2-3 times a night to feed. We are not ready to break that habit yet though as it allows us more time to bond with him and for him to see us as primary caretakers meeting his needs/attending to his cries. Plus the extra calories are helping to catch him up in the growth department. His pediatrician has judged Zane to be in good health. He is certainly small for his age compared to the Western European growth chart and his motor skills lag somewhat --- but nothing that a few extra bottles and lots of tummy time can't address!

L&C have been great with "baby Zane" as they call him. They've been helpful to retrieve diapers, pick out his clothes, feed him his bottle and sing lullaby songs to him. Zane seems quite taken with his sisters. I asked L&C what we should dress Zane as for Halloween and they replied "a princess!" I reminded them that princesses are girls but that he could be a prince. They thought that was ok as long as he wore "a pretty crown." The girls are working their way through the typical growing pains a new baby in the family brings. But I'm very proud of how tender they have been with Zane. Instead they take out their frustrations on mommy and that, I can deal with.



Aside from sleep deprivation, Chris and I are adjusting well. Thankfully Chris is between deadlines at work and is able to go in a bit later and come home a bit earlier. One huge blessing we are enjoying - being spoiled rotten by our sweet neighbors who are keeping us well fed! We are actually going to sneak out tomorrow night after the kids' bedtimes and catch a movie thanks to my sister, Courtney!

I can honestly say I am in love with our Zane. I adored him from the moment I laid eyes on his photo. And getting him in my arms greatly increased my feelings for him. But it is now beginning to really feel just like it does with L&C. Adoption is magical that way. It's like God breaths His sweet breath upon it, cementing this beautiful parent/child bond between two complete strangers.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

What a beautiful, loving family.

Anonymous said...

Oh how we are counting the days til we get to hug our little nephew and nieces! Keep those pictures coming! We love you!