Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Gift for Z

WOW.




Today Z received a gift from someone in Ethiopia - a traditional Ethiopian outfit and a plaque displaying musical instruments that are typical to Ethiopia. The plaque is definitely going up on his wall! I think it's from his caregiver at Gladney's Infant Care Center but I'm trying to confirm this. Gladney's in country director, Belay, was in the U.S. recently and flew the gift over with him from Ethiopia - and it arrived to our doorstep today.

I am so touched. So touched that this sweet woman who cared for our Z took the time to remember Z in such a generous way. Evidently our little charmer made quite an impression on her! I'm not surprised since he has stolen our hearts so easily.

Gladney has an amazing infant care center (and one for toddlers, and one for older children) in Addis Ababa. Z lived there from about 2-months-old until we arrived in Addis Ababa when he turned 6-months-old. We picked Z up from this care center, enjoyed two coffee ceremonies there and were so blessed to meet his primary caregiver, and the other lovely women there. Many of the caregivers grew up orphans themselves. The day before we departed she gave him a precious traditional Ethiopian outfit, and gave scarves to both Chris and I. We were very humbled by her generosity.


And now today, to receive this present for Zane - I am blown away. She also sent a beautiful letter asking how Zane was doing and for photos, and wishing our family well. What a gift that we will certainly treasure, and how wonderful to share this with Zane as he grows. We will write her back and send photos along with a future traveling family.

No comments: