Today is Tuesday. It's now about 11:30PM in Addis Ababa. We just returned from an Ethiopian Cultural Dinner complete with traditional dancing. Wish I could post video here but this internet connection would certainly crash! Needless to say the environment, food, musicians and dancers were amazing!
We started today off at Enricos, with cream puffs and cappuccinos. This bakery was described to us as "old Addis experience."
We then left for a visit to an orphanage. The orphanages we visited last week were government run, this one was a private orphanage. The facilities were a bit nicer but overall seemed similar to our eyes - I'm sure the social workers and adoption agencies can better tell the differences. The children were precious, sang songs for us and showed off their gorgeous smiles. All the kids we have met have loved for us to take their photos and then show them on our digital cameras. The video camera is also a big hit - they love to see themselves in action. If I kneel on the ground for too long with the cameras I get swarmed. At one point I felt like a puppy dog as they were petting my hair. Once we would hug one child they would all swarm and gives us huge "bear hugs" and kisses on the cheek. It makes your heart want to burst. These children are so beautiful, inside and out. Wish I could take a dozen home with me today. Sadly we learned that less than 5% of these children will ever be adopted.
After lunch (yes, Italian again - I don't get it either) we went to the orphanage where Zane was relinquished by his birthmother. Actually the orphanage has since changed physical locations so it was not quite the same. But it was nice to take video of the infant beds knowing one was where he laid his head for 3 weeks, and to get a photo of the head caretaker.
Sweet Zane still has a horrible cough and diarrhea but his sinus infection seems to be improving. We are going to try and see the doctor again tomorrow to check in before our long flight home begins Thursday night.
We are desperate to see Lily and Claire. We had a webcam call with them today. So fun to see their sweet faces and hear them yell "mommy! daddy!" and to show them their baby brother. They were in their leotards having just returned from dance class. Two weeks is too long to be away from my girls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We are praying for little Zane to get well! We can't wait to see you on Friday, Lord willing! We love you and are praying for you.
I love reading all your posts. I'll want all the details filled in when you return and scads more pictures. Seeing the few you post just make me want more. I look forward to seeing you both and to meet Zane!
Post a Comment