Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Funny

Want to hear a funny story? So last summer Christopher signed up to participate in his first Ironman. Yes, my husband is beyond human, nuts, and he pretty much rocks. Anyway, you have to sign up for this race a year in advance. Registration opened the day after the 2008 race concluded and was filled within days. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, June 21, 2009 is where Chris has planned to be since June 2008.

Late last summer we also began to discuss a trip back to Ethiopia as part of this Zeway project we are so blessed to work on. Before Christmas we learned that it was very likely the Ethiopia trip would occur late May, early June. Chris looked at me and said, "I'm out. It just does not work with the Ironman." I agreed and within 60 seconds we decided I would go to Ethiopia with the group since he would need to remain in Austin for training - seeing as how that was just about the time he would need to peak for the race. It was just simple Bauer logic.

A week or so before our first Zeway trip meeting in January, out of the blue, Chris said, "You know, I would really love to go to Ethiopia. I wish I could make it work out somehow. But it just does not make sense, right?" I agreed I just could not see how it would work, although I would love for him to join me. The following day our friend, Matt Kouri (who is also going on the Zeway trip), called Chris and asked, "Is there any way we could work around your training so you could go to Zeway?"

That evening Chris and I decided, you know - we should back up and start where we should have began in the first place...actually praying about it and seeing what God would have us do versus what we think makes sense. Let me think...my peon brain versus GOD. Yes, back up and pray. Let's do that.

Laughing, Chris and I both arrived for that first Zeway trip meeting in January. We were giggling and shaking our heads at how absurd it was for Chris to consider going on this trip after all the time, money and sweat Chris had invested in this Ironman. It just did not make sense. BUT, he was feeling strongly that God was leading him to join us on this trip and for us, that was all that mattered. It didn't make sense but we've learned better than to argue with the God of the universe.

It gets funnier.

One of Chris's partners at his accounting firm has a client - Glimmer of Hope. They are based here in Austin and they do incredible humanitarian work in Ethiopia. As it turns out, as part of the audit, SOMEONE needs to visit a few of Glimmer's project sites in Ethiopia....hmmm...just about the time Chris and I will be there. Wonder who could do that? Again, we found ourselves laughing.

We also found ourselves encouraged at God's further affirmation that in spite of it makeing no sense to us, Chris is supposed to go on this trip. We have yet to figure out how in the world he is supposed to swim/bike/run in Ethiopia, and we are taking a step of faith in hoping he won't get sick.

By the time we return from Ethiopia, Chris will have just 2 weeks until we head to Idaho. I love God's sense of humor and the way He teaches us that He knows the big picture and all we see is this microscopic view. I can't wait to see how it all works out.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

chris... you can DO IT! good luck bro. love that you are trusting god and going for both.

Meagan Brown said...

So cool!

Unknown said...

We make plans and God laughs!
What a cool place to be...no doubt He will make provision!
Leslee
ps. I found you blog!